Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Halloween (Chapel Hill style)

Friday morning I woke up, and I became very excited because not only was it Friday, but it was the day I was going to see ALLISON! It was so convenient that our schedules had us both in North Carolina for Halloween, so we decided to meet up in Chapel Hill to hang with one of her brother's friends for the weekend. I spent all day Friday on campus at East Carolina with the Alpha Xis and Fijis supporting their Jail 'N Bail philanthropy event. God blessed us with amazingly beautiful weather and a good turnout! The girls worked hard all week passing out fliers to get people to eat at Jersey Mikes and Chico's, because they agreed to donate a portion of the profit to Autism Speaks! The jail was positioned outside the student union and had games of corn hole, bucket pong, and cake walks for entertainment. Those that were arrested enjoyed an amazing bbq meal with baked beans, mac and cheese, and cupcakes! People were stopping by all day to "post bail" for their friends and everyone had a fun time.

Once 3:00pm rolled around I was ready to go! Allison was on her way to meet me in Raleigh, so Maryellen and I headed to the house to get our bags together. Maryellen was so sweet to drive me to Raleigh on Friday, and then back to Greenville on Sunday! I got so lucky that she was going home for the weekend! ME if you're reading this....you're the BEST! Traffic got the better of us on our journey to Southpoint to meet Allison! There was a car that caught on fire about 8 miles from the exit to the mall, and Maryellen and I were in this backup for 45 minutes! We eventually made it, and I was SOOOO happy to see Allison. After a little shopping and girl talk catch up time we headed to Chapel Hill.

When we got to Chapel Hill I was a major navigator FAIL, and got us a little lost (but we did get a lovely tour of the campus and town). We eventually made it to Jordan's where the costume party had already begun. After a quick bite to eat and a wardrobe change we were ready to go. Parties are always a little awkward when everyone there knows each other, and you're the random guest. I'm pretty sure I was the most random person there! When people asked me how I knew Jordan this was my response, "Well, I "work with" Allison. We met this summer, and travel to different colleges because we're sorority consultants. Allison's brother was roommates with Jordan in college, and that's how she met him. So when we both knew we were in NC for the same weekend we wanted to meet up, Allison contacted Jordan and he said to come on over! And that's why I'm here." I love my random life!

Saturday we went to the UNC vs. William and Mary football game (UNC's homecoming game). The tailgating wasn't exactly what I'm used to, but the campus is beautiful. We walked around and then went to eat at Top of the Hill. After eating a fabulous lunch we all walked to the stadium. Jordan hooked us up with some tickets, and we sat with everyone in the student section. Compared to an Auburn game, I would say the spirit is very mild. But then again, not many things can compare to an Auburn game in my opinion. UNC was losing most of the game, and things weren't very exciting, so around 5:00pm the general consensus was that we should head back to the house. I was perfectly fine with this decision because Auburn kickoff was at 6pm! We watched most all of the Auburn game and I was that obnoxious fan! =) After the game, it was time for the night's festivities to begin!!! We went to a place called Deep End and everyone danced and had a GREAT time! Allison and I totally left our mark on Chapel Hill. Before going home, we went to Time Out Restaurant from Man vs. Food! The biscuits were AMAZING, and the place was packed out the door. I absolutely LOVE Halloween, and seeing all of the interesting costumes that people come up with each year. Allison and I were tagging along with a group of lifeguards and Brett Michaels. We saw a few Avitars, and of course all the classics. The cheetah lady at the Time-Out was by far the most disturbing outfit of the night, and all I could think was I bet she's cold! Ohhh good times! I had a great time while I was there, but I couldn't help but miss all of my besties who were at Mary's wedding for the weekend. I texted Shug a few times and it seemed like they were having a great time. The last few texts I received consisted of something about Harry who was pushing 50yrs old, can't get too close, and POKEYS NOW!!!!! To which my response was huh? =) LOVE IT! This was the first year that I missed my bestie's b-day, but I'm glad to see that she had a good time!

To complete our magical weekend away from work, Allison and I drove by Duke to take some pictures and see the campus. I didn't want the ride back to Raleigh to end, but unfortunately we both had to get back to work. Allison flew off to WPI and I made my way back to Greenville! We had a great weekend and I miss her so much already! Now I get to prepare myself for another weekend off in BATON ROUGE with my sissy for the Alabama/LSU game! I know I say this a lot, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment