Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, March 11, 2011

March Madness....(but not the basketball kind)

While I do enjoy March Madness and all of the basketball triumphs and defeats it brings, the March Madness I am experiencing this month isn't as entertaining.  The madness of my March comes from my travel schedule.  Just looking at how busy I am this month makes me break a sweat, but I would be lying to yall if I said I didn't love it.   Here's a rundown of this month in the life of Becky Wilbanks:

March 1-3:  Kansas State University (Manhattan, KS)
March 3-6: Mardi Gras with friends (New Orleans, LA)
March 6-11: Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
March 11-14: University of Illinois (Champaign, IL)
-------Here's where life gets busy-----------------
March 14-15: Western Kentucky University (Bowling Green, KY)
March 16: (Birmingham, AL)
March 17-21: East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, TN)
March 21-25: East Carolina University (Greenville, NC)
March 26-27: Friend's Bridal Shower/Bachelorette Party (Auburn, AL)
March 28-April 5: Ohio University (Athens, OH)
(April is just as crazy because I go from Ohio to Indianapolis, back to WKU, and then move to Alabama)

Adding this all up totals to 9 states in the month of March. Where life starts to get crazy is after my visit this week.  This Sunday time will spring forward giving us longer days (and hopefully bringing in some warmer weather).  This time change comes at a bad time for me, but I just have to buckle up and accept my fate.  Here's a breakdown of the next week of my life:

Sunday (Move time FORWARD 1 hour)
Monday: Flight leaves Indianapolis at 10am (need to be there by 9am, 2 hour drive, central timezone to eastern - 1 hour, means leaving Champaign at 6am - which feels like 5am bc of the time change). Arrive in Nashville (shop a little while waiting on Laura's flight to arrive) and drive to Bowling Green, KY.  Attend Greek Awards Banquet.
Tuesday:  Campus PR all day promoting our chapter that we will colonize in the fall.
Wednesday:  Drive (3 hours) from Nashville to Birmingham for an interview.
Thursday: Drive (5 hours) to Johnson City, TN for next chapter visit at ETSU.  Stay until Monday morning when my flight leaves for the next chapter.
(Some time in the midst of all this travel and chaos I have to write 2 reports and edit one to be sent out.)

I remember back in January thinking that this would be a long semester (especially with all the SNOW...yuck!), but as it turns out, the time is passing by so quickly (just as it always seems to do).  The other ELCs and I have been eagerly anticipating our return to Indy in April, when we will all be reunited and doing our debriefing for the spring semester.

Staying busy is something that I LOVE to do, and this schedule for March and April (as exhausting as they may be) is right up my alley.  Knowing that the constant travel and tasks will be occupying my time gives me relief in knowing that after each day I am closer to seeing my girlies. I have really enjoyed the experience of this past year traveling to chapters and having the opportunity to impact hundreds of girls lives each week, and I know that next year during recruitment season I will be missing it.  To all of the new ELCs (whoever you may be), good luck next year.  This has definitely been the most interesting year of my life, and I have learned so much about myself and grown as a person.  While my time as an ELC is drawing to a close, I will look back fondly on the memories I have made and the friendships I have formed that will honestly last forever.

Next chapter of my life is starting soon....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment