Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, February 25, 2011

Countdown to Mardi Gras 2.0

At this time next week, I will be leaving a tour of the Abita Brewery with my friends and heading into New Orleans for a weekend of Mardi Gras parades. Last year the crew made a trip down to NOLA for the festivities and had quite a memorable time. Our "hotel" was more of a hostel with no heat and a slide for a fire escape, we attended the parades, enjoyed some parties, soaked up the culture, and survived our first Mardi Gras. Now, as our return journey approaches I find myself eager and impatient to get back down to warmer climates and close friends.

In preparation for this event, my always prepared friend Emily composed a Mardi Gras Survival Guide for the crew making the trip down. As always her travel tips are entertaining and useful. For anyone who has been to Mardi Gras before, you will appreciate her following rules/requirements of us:

1. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES THAT YOU DON'T MIND GETTING DIRTY.
2. BRING CASH
3. Use the bathroom whenever it is available to you.
4. Do not pee in your pants or on the street because you will be mocked and/or end up in jail.

And a few things to know/be aware of at all times:

1. Where are my friends?
2. Where is the bathroom?
3. Where is my drink?

We've upgraded our hotel a little this year, and should have heat (though I hope in March we won't need it). If there is a fire, while there is no slide conveniently out of our window, we do have experience from our last visit to New Orleans for New Years. After that experience we are all prepared as to what items we will grab and run with.

My countdown begins now! 6 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment