Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Staying Busy, Busy, Busy....

The month of January has come and gone, and I can't believe how fast the time has flown by (literally)! All of my travel for just the month of January consists of a combination of 8,000 miles flying and driving. So far I have spent 2011 in 6 different states: Louisiana (for New Years Eve), Indiana (for Indiana University's recruitment and then to Purdue for officer training), Illinois (for officer and advisor training), Texas (for area wide officer training), North Carolina (for a presentation), and finally to Wisconsin (for formal recruitment at Marquette). Technically, I guess you could also count Alabama since I traveled to Jacksonville State on the last day of January.

The month of February slows down for me a little, and I will only be in Alabama, Iowa, and Kansas. I am currently in Jacksonville, AL visiting JSU. The great thing about this visit is that I've worked with this chapter before this job, and I already know their Greek system and school. Another perk is that my grandparents only live 15 minutes away, so my parents were able to come down for a visit this past weekend so I could see them! During this job I seem to live in some alternate reality where all of my friends are virtual and my days and weeks don't operate on a normal schedule. It's difficult to stay in contact with everyone, but still manageable.

There's a good chance I won't know what to do with myself in April when I can actually get into a routine. The strangest part will probably be the fact that after 7 days I won't have to wake up at 3am and drag some girl out of bed so that I get to the airport in time to catch my flight, or that I actually have my own bedroom, bathroom, AND a CAR! I will be able to eat when and what I want every day of the week, and if I need more shampoo I can drive myself to get it! I will have 1-2 or no roommates instead of 18-54, and I won't have to constantly question which time zone I am in.

I have really enjoyed the experience this job has brought into my life, and cherish every new friendship that has been formed this year. I can honestly say that I have grown and gained a lot of character this year, and wouldn't be the same person without it. The other girls traveling with me, and other consultants we have met along the way, have become a great support system, and I look forward to how our relationships will change once we transition into the next phase of our lives. April 8th is my last day as an ELC, and although that is only two short months away, I still have a lot of ground to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment