Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, August 2, 2010

On your mark, get set....

Let the journey begin...

This Saturday will mark one month since I've been in Indianapolis. Crazy to think that this time last month I was stressing over what to pack in my suitcase and saying all of my "see you laters". Now that I am actually here, my life is beyond busy and fantastic. Our first adventure was the second "workout" of the summer at the beautiful Indiana University. I had a chance to meet more sisters from the chapters who weren't in attendance at the Atlanta workout. Upon completion of the four day workshop, the ELCs loaded up in our car and headed to Indianapolis to move in to our apartments.

The first two days we were in Indy were free days (no work...woo hoo!). We spent our time at the pool, and driving into the city for a little shopping. Once work started, we all began to adjust to our new schedule, roommates/co-workers/friends, and living arrangements. We met some interesting neighbors...Elliot was the first neighbor we met. He was walking out of his apartment with his helmet on, and hopped on his bike. We later discovered that he has a scooter, and has recently gotten his license back. Elliot has 2 modes of transportation to combine for 4 wheels. He's a character, but we don't run into him too often. Our other interesting neighbor is a young fellow that lives upstairs, and his name is Chris. One evening Chris stopped by to invite us to come out with him and his buddies. While he was there we asked him if we could use his wireless code so we could all access the internet. The apartments where we're staying for the month only have one ethernet cord, and that means we have learned to share. Chris conveniently forgot that he had wireless, even though when you search for wireless connections the first one that pops up says CHRIS. Hmmmmm....ok Chris, yea we believe that you don't have wireless...Liar! :) We thought he could help us out, but after that I'm just not sure how useful he could be to us. When he attempted to give us his phone number we dodged it by telling him we'd see him when we see him. I think he got the hint.

The second week we were here, we had a Field Staff training conference downtown. We had a chance to do some great networking and met a large number of consultants from other sororities and fraternities. This conference lasted Monday-Wednesday. The actual conference itself wasn't anything special, but hanging out with the people we met was a refreshing change of pace. Everyone went to a baseball game Tuesday night (which was a bust due to rainy weather), and then we hit up a piano bar after in mass numbers. I LOVE PIANO BARS...the atmosphere was great, and everyone was dancing and having a blast. Severl of the guys decided to sing me a song, which was awkward and amazing at the same time. Just imagine getting 60 of the most social people you know together at a piano bar...good times all around! Everyone had a blast!



After the conference it was back to the same ole, same ole, except now we had friends. We've had a couple of lunch dates to keep things fresh, and hang out with everyone almost daily. Weekends are good for a little pool action, and the Indianapolis ZOO!!! :) I still want to go to the NCAA Hall of Champions, but the guys went without me this weekend when I was at the outlets with the girls. Too much to do in such a short time.



Training is coming to an end this week, and each of us will start flying off to our first recruitment visits. Meg and Trina left for Auburn this morning (I'm very jealous! :) But I know they will LOVE IT!). Erin leaves tonight after work to go home for her brother's wedding, and then she will meet me in Orlando! That leaves the trio: Kara, Allison, and me. Kara heads out Saturday morning, and Allison will be here until Sunday morning. After I drop Allison off at the airport I will be kickin' it solo on Sunday, and I will fly to Orlando on Monday morning. Time has flown by so quickly that I'm not sure if I'm happy to be leaving or sad. I will miss all of my ELC girls, but we will stay in touch through skype, it just won't be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment