Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 1: Orlando

Erin and I arrived in Orlando, FL and hit the ground running. The Theta Sigma ladies were excellent hostesses and took such good care of us. I can already see how much I am going to LOVE these women I meet this year, and I will definitely form some great relationships. The “Spirit Week” schedule at UCF is INTENSE. The chapter had several 12 hour work days, and worked very hard during their time at the house. One morning during the week I decided to be healthy and go for a jog. As I was trucking it along around the 2.5 mile loop around campus, I passed a guy who was running the opposite direction. When I made my way around campus and got back to Greek Row, he pulled is car over and honked for me to come over. I stopped and took out my ipod to see what he wanted. The following is the discussion that took place:

Mr. Hot Bod: “Hey! So I ran past you back there.”
Me: “Yea, you sure did.”
Mr. Hot Bod: “So…can I have your number?”
Me: “Well, I’m actually not from here.”

Then I proceed to explain my job and how I can’t go out with the sorority women, because it would go against the professional nature of my job. He then asked to visit me at the sorority house which I shot down pretty quickly. After several attempts to meet up with me in various ways, he finally asked if I would be running again in the morning. Sadly, I chose not to attend our running date the next morning, but it definitely made for an interesting story that day.

After a week of helping the Theta Sigma ladies and getting to know them, Erin and I had to leave to visit our next chapters. We left with a new water bottle and clip board, as well as cards from the chapter! I will miss them, and look forward to checking in on their progress through recruitment and this next year!

2 comments:

  1. I hope those are feather light clipboards and water bottles. What does your luggage weigh now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well leaving from Orlando it was only 48lbs after I mailed all of that home to you! And then it was 51lbs coming to Iowa because I put stuff from my carry on in my suitcase. =)

    ReplyDelete